Consultation with the Chancellor's Office

Definition of Basic Skills

Whereas, Data regarding basic skills are critically important for making decisions for funding allocations, as well as for assessing student success;

Whereas, The Basic Skills Initiative identifies basic skills courses as those courses necessary for students to succeed in college-level work and that are identified as such on the Basic Skills Cohort Tracking Tool;

Student Safety: Sexual Assault

Whereas, SB 967 (De León, 2014) has been passed by the legislature and signed by the governor, requiring district governing boards “to implement comprehensive prevention and outreach programs addressing sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking,” and local academic senates should participate in the development and implementation of these programs in order to ensure the protection of faculty purview and the highest quality programs for students;

Aligning State Reporting Deadlines With Academic Calendars

Whereas, Colleges are required, per Education Code, to allow effective participation by staff and students in college governance and to collegially consult with the faculty through academic senates, which includes allowing for sufficient vetting of critical documents and reports through college governance structures;

ASCCC Involvement in the California Community College Institutional Effectiveness and Technical Assistance Program

Whereas, In September 2014 the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office issued a Request for Applications (RFA) for a new California Community College Institutional Effectiveness and Technical Assistance Program “for the benefit of all California Community Colleges and Students” with a goal of “develop[ing] and manage[ing] a comprehensive technical assistance program to enhance institutional effectiveness and further student success”;

Restructure the FON to Include Noncredit Faculty

Whereas, Noncredit instruction is included in the mission of California Community Colleges because “The provision of noncredit adult education curricula in areas defined as being in the state’s interest is an essential and important function of the community colleges” (California Education Code §66010.4), and noncredit instruction serves some of the state’s most at-risk and needy students;

Research Tools for Program Review

Whereas, There are over 6,000 approved certificate and degree programs in the California Community College System (System) inventory of programs and courses and approximately 51% of these need to be reviewed at least every six years while the other 49% (Career Technical Education programs) need to be reviewed every two years, resulting in the need to review 2,000 programs every year system-wide;

Immediate Supervision in Foreign Language Labs

Whereas, Legal Opinion 08-02 (2008 October 1) established new strictures by which districts can claim apportionment for “TBA” (To Be Arranged) hours, strictures that many community college labs, including foreign language labs, did not or simply cannot meet;

Whereas, The foreign languages discipline universally recognizes labs as necessary, successful delivery modes for improving student learning outcomes;

Mechanism to Ensure That Implementing Transfer Model Curricula Preserves Faculty Intent

Whereas, Transfer Model Curricula (TMCs) provide a faculty-developed structure to the major component of Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADTs);

Whereas, The California Community College Chancellor’s Office develops templates for degree submission derived from the TMC; and

Whereas, Degree templates and their implementation should align with the intent of the faculty who developed the TMC;

Allowing “P” Grades for Courses in the Major for the Associate Degree for Transfer

Whereas, In September 2013, the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office adopted the 5th edition of the Program and Course Approval Handbook and modified the courses that could be used in the major component of Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADTs) by inserting the following sentence: "A 'P' (Pass) grade is not an acceptable grade for courses in the major” (p. 89);

Explore Participation in State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA) for Distance Education Offerings

Whereas, Colleges and districts that enroll students living in other states in distance education courses may be required by those states to enter into state authorization agreements in order to enroll those students, which can be burdensome to institutions and can result in thousands of dollars in fees to a state, even for a single student;

Whereas, The proposed 34 CFR §600.9(c) states:

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Consultation with the Chancellor's Office