Approximate time to complete: 2-4 hours.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- discuss the benefits of providing educational opportunities to the incarcerated;
- demonstrate an appreciation of how - and why - teaching in a correctional environment is unique;
- explain the strategies employed to ensure your safety while in a correctional setting;
- integrate learning theory and teaching strategy into the practice of teaching; and
- develop strategies for managing students in a variety of class settings.
This course is designed to assist in preparing community college faculty to teach incarcerated students. The value of education for this population is addressed, as well as the unique environment in which such teaching and the ways one's approach to teaching and interacting with students must be adjusted when working in such a setting. We're pleased to have had the assistance of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) as we developed this unique course. The Module 2 content was approved by CDCR and provides an overview of information deemed important by CDCR as you prepare to teach in a correctional setting.