Deadline to Register/Application Deadline
Join Academic Senate for California Community Colleges (ASCCC), curriculum enthusiasts, faculty, classified professionals, administrators, and students to learn, share ideas, build connections and transform institutions through curriculum discussions. We will gather at the Riverside Convention Center in Riverside, California for the 2023 Curriculum Institute July 12-15.
Riverside Convention Center
3637 5th Street
Curriculum Institute 2023 is currently planned as an in-person and virtual (hybrid) event. Pre-session workshops on July 12 will provide training and resources for those new and newer to curriculum.
This event provides opportunities for in-depth conversations, collective voice, leadership and empowerment. Participants will work together to discuss collaborative strategies for implementing current legislation, innovations in curriculum, equitable educational opportunities, pathways for student success, and more.
Event Theme: Delivering on the Promise of Higher Education Through California Community Colleges Curriculum
Registration In-Person including Wednesday Pre-Session: $650
In-Person registration includes daytime meals and all conference materials. Dinners are on your own.
Registration In-Person not including Wednesday Pre-Session: $600
Virtual Only Registration including Wednesday Pre-Session: $450
Virtual and Hybrid sessions are TBD. A tentative program will be posted soon, identifying which sessions will be hybrid and virtual.
Presenter Registration: Please request promo code
** All Presenters are required to register. **
In Person Registration will end June 30, 2023 at 12:00pm. Virtual Registration will end on July 7th, 2023 at 12:00pm.
Virtual attendees will need to email events [at] asccc.org for space availability after July 7th.
For questions about accessibility or to request accommodations please contact Kayla Vue or Tonya Davis at events [at] asccc.org or phone 916-445-4753x102. Three weeks advance notice of need for accommodations is requested.
For your safety and the safety of others, we will ask you to refrain from entering common spaces if you are experiencing any symptoms like coughing, shortness of breath, running nose, or fever. Masks are encouraged but not mandatory for all attendees, staff, and presenters.
If you test positive leading up to the event, please review the CDC Isolation and Precautions guideline to determine what you need to do. If you have any further questions, please contact events [at] asccc.org.
COVID policies may be updated based on local health ordinances.
Is my registration/ticket transferrable?
We no longer take direct ticket transfers. You will need to submit a new registration for each person attending.
What is the cancellation/refund policy?
• Payment is required prior to entering an Academic Senate event.
• Please remember that the last day (June 30th, 2023) to cancel your registration without penalty is always posted on each event's webpage, and is listed in each confirmation email. Cancellations must be submitted in writing to events [at] asccc.org on or before the posted date. Registration will not be canceled due to non-payment. All cancellations made after the posted cancellation date will be assessed a $175 cancellation fee.
• Full Refunds will not be granted for cancellations after the posted cancellation deadline.
• Cancellations made less than 7 business working days prior (July 4th, 2023) to the event will be billed the full registration amount for the conference.
• No shows, unclaimed "TBA" attendees, and cancellations made after the deadline will be billed to you and/or your college for the total cost of registration and room if applicable to the event. As attendees are permitted to register without funds, we have no way of determining cancellation unless specifically told, in writing.
• It is your responsibility to ensure payment of the registration fee. Submission of your registration signifies agreement with this policy.
• Unpaid balances owed to the Academic Senate must be paid off before an attendee can register for a future event.
The name on the registration/ticket doesn't match the attendee. Is that okay?
No, All attendee registrations must match the ticket. We no longer take direct transfers. Every attendee must submit their own registration and payment.
Questions and Concerns
Please contact the Academic Senate Event Team at events [at] asccc.org with any questions or concerns.
For questions about accessibility or to request live captioning accommodations please contact Kayla Vue or Tonya Davis at events [at] asccc.org. Three weeks advance notice of need for accommodations is requested.
Please see Events Agreements page for all terms and conditions.
Hotel & Travel
Please note that you must make hotel reservations separate from the event registration process. Registration confirmation for the event does note guarantee a hotel room reservation.
You must make reservations through the ASCCC group hotel block. We have four different hotel blocks for the 2023 Curriculum Institute.
Hampton Inn by Hilton 3505 Market Street, Riverside , California 92501
Self-parking for $23/day
Room Rate: $159 - $164/ night
Hyatt Place Riverside Downtown3500 Market Street, Riverside, California 92501
Parking fee: $16
Room Rate: $145 - $155/ night
The Mission Inn Hotel & Spa3649 Mission Inn Avenue, Riverside, California, USA 92501
Self-parking $17/night and Valet parking $23/night
Room Rate: $189/night
Marroitt Riverside at the Convention Center 3400 Market Street, Riverside, California, USA, 92501
Overnight Parking for $20/car/night
Room Rate: $159 - $169/night
Event registration is required before you can reserve a hotel room under the ASCCC meeting room block. Your email confirmation for registration will direct you to the hotel reservation website once you have completed event registration. We recommend that you make your reservation as early as possible, as space is limited and fills up quickly! Rates and availability are limited and event registration alone does not guarantee a hotel room. For those flying, Ontario Airport is the closest airport to the hotel.
Please contact Academic Senate Event Team at events [at] asccc.org or 916-445-4753x102 with any questions or concerns.
The virtual portion of Curriculum Institute will be hosted on Zoom Events. Please use the provided resources for tips on accessing Zoom Events.
Navigating Zoom Events: Attendee Experience
How to participate in Virtual Only:
The event will take place in the virtual event platform Zoom Events. All attendees will receive an email prior to the event with a unique user login. The platform works with email as your user id, so please make sure all attendees emails are their actual emails. If you are an admin and are registering a group of people, please make sure you are prepared with each persons unique email. Please check your device if it is compatible with Zoom Events and update your Zoom app.
Event links to the Virtual Event Platform will be emailed to all registered attendees approximately 1 week prior to the start of the event. All sessions will have auto closed captioning available.
Please make sure to submit individual emails for all attendees as that will be their access to the virtual event platform.
Tentative schedule subject to change
WEDNESDAY, July 12, 202
2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Pre-Sessions
- Curriculum Chairs
- Curriculum Professionals/Specialists
- Articulation Officers
4:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Break
4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Curriculum Mixer
THURSDAY, JULY 13, 2023
9:00 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. General Session 1
Welcome/State of Curriculum (Hybrid)
10:15 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Break
10:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. Breakout Session 1
- Academic Freedom in Curriculum (Hybrid)
- DEI in Curriculum: Model Principles and Practices (Hybrid)
- Noncredit Basics (Hybrid)
- Updated Work Experience Regulations (Hybrid)
- Modern Policing (Hybrid)
- Legislation (Primer) and Curriculum (Hybrid)
11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Lunch
12:45 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Breakout Session 2
- Brown Act Basics (Hybrid)
- Accounting Methods for Credit and Noncredit (Hybrid)
- Updates to the PCAH (Hybrid)
- Ethnic Studies--CCC Core Competencies (Hybrid)
- CO Q&A General? (Hybrid)
- Experiential Learning: Work Based Learning & Service Learning; What's the difference? (Hybrid)
2:00 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. Break
2:15 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. General Session 2
CCCCO Curriculum Updates /Training (Hybrid)
5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Reception
FRIDAY, JULY 14, 2023
9:00 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. Breakout Session 3
- Open Educational Resources (Hybrid)
- Curricular Accreditation Requirements (Hybrid)
- Trauma-Informed Curriculum (Hybrid)
- Transfer Deep Dive/General Session Follow-up (Hybrid)
- Advanced Non-Credit (Hybrid)
- Strategic Enrollment Management/Programs (Hybrid)
10:15 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Break
10:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. Breakout Session 4
- Assigning Courses to Disciplines / Cross-Listing (Hybrid)
- Parliamentary Procedure (Hybrid)
- Competency Based Education & Credit for Prior Learning (Hybrid)
- Collaboration Between Curriculum and Articulation to Support Student Transfer (Hybrid)
- Roundtables--facilitated/structured: Accessibility, Program Review
- GP, Integrated Planning (Hybrid)
11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Lunch
12:45 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. General Session 3
AB928, CCC GE, CCC baccalaureate GE (Hybrid)
2:15 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Break
2:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. General Session 4
Student Panel--GE and Student Perspectives (Hybrid)
SATURDAY, July 15, 2023
9:00 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. Breakout Session 6
- Distance Education in the COR (Hybrid)
- CCC Baccalaureate Degrees Through an IDEAA Lens: Addressing Curricular and Practical Questions (Hybrid)
- CO COCI Q & A Listening Session (Hybrid)
- Equitable Placement (AB705/1705) (Hybrid)
- Follow-up session (Hybrid)
10:15 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Break
10:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. General Session 5
AB1111 Common Course Numbering AND/OR Equitable Placement (Hybrid)