40.01 Honoring Faculty Leaders
(Approved January 11, 2019)
There are times when a faculty member(s) or the Executive Committee may want to honor faculty who have served the Academic Senate by supporting the mission and vision through a variety of capacities (e.g., committee member, Executive Committee member, advisory group). The following are some of the ways that the ASCCC or the Executive Committee can honor faculty including:
- Senator Emeritus status – retired faculty only (noted in bylaws)
- Resolution (honorary or emeritus resolution)
- Contribution to a charitable organization suggested by the family of the deceased up to the amount of
registration at one plenary session
- Recognition in the Rostrum, a plenary session program, or other printed material of the ASCCC
- Registration waivers for ASCCC Past Presidents
Resolution Conferring Emeritus Status
Individuals that have been granted senator emeritus status are entitled to special recognition at senate events, free issues of the Academic Senate Rostrum, and free registration at all Academic Senate Plenary Sessions.
If the Executive Committee or a faculty member(s), working through their Area, determines that a faculty member should be honored as Emeritus, the following criteria will be considered:
- The faculty member must have formally submitted retirement paperwork to their college’s/district’s human resources office, or be a retired community college faculty member, or be deceased.
- The faculty member must have completed at least five (5) years of significant service to the Academic
Senate for California Community Colleges.
- The faculty member must be recognized for exceptional contributions supporting the aims and functions of the ASCCC.
Honorary Resolution from the Executive Committee
A request to honor a former Executive Committee member is at the discretion of the Executive Committee. In
addition, non-faculty who have demonstrated an outstanding commitment to the mission and vision of ASCCC may also be honored also at the discretion of the Senate President. This is an Honorary Resolution and may be granted posthumously.
Procedure for honoring former Executive Committee members:
- A request to honor former Executive Committee members must be agendized for action at a regular meeting of the Executive Committee.
- A super-majority vote of 75% of the Executive Committee will be required.
Individuals that have been granted emeritus status are entitled to special recognition at Senate events, free issues of the Academic Senate Rostrum , and free registration at all Academic Senate Plenary Sessions.
ASCCC Past Presidents who maintain their faculty status are entitled to special recognition at Senate events,
and free registration at all Academic Senate Plenary Sessions.