The paper was published and posted on this website.
Whereas, There have been recent sensational news items about grades, and significant professional issues are involved; and
Whereas, Resolution 9.07 S07 called for a paper that would stimulate faculty dialogue in this area, with attention to the following questions:
(1) is grade inflation a problem in California community colleges?
(2) how can a college decide if there is grade inflation within the college or within a discipline?
(3) what factors influence grade inflation?
(4) what threats are posed to faculty autonomy over grading from accrediting agencies and federal regulators? and
(5) what should faculty do in light of these issues?
Resolved, That the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges adopt the paper Promoting Thoughtful Faculty Conversations about Grade Distributions. MSC Disposition: Local Senates