Associate Degree for Transfer in Music

Resolution Number
Assigned to

Whereas, Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADTs) are limited to a total of 60 semester units completed at a community college and must include the completion of CSU Breadth or IGETC, which consists of 37-39 semester units, leaving only 21-22 units of major preparation for music if none of the music courses has been approved for general education;

Whereas, The ADT in Music is not truly “a degree with a guarantee” due to the requirement for students to audition into music programs and because students can not enter a university music program at the junior level, students still have to take placement tests, students can only get a Bachelor of Arts degree instead of a Bachelor of Music degree, and music faculty do not recommend the ADT degree to students interested in music as a career or transferring as a music major;

Whereas, The music major is a recognized high unit major as evidenced by the 124-132 semester unit Bachelor of Music (BM) degrees at numerous CSU campuses, including CSU Long Beach, CSU Los Angeles, CSU Fullerton, CSU Stanislaus, San Jose State, San Diego State, and the required lower division music curriculum at these institutions ranges between 33 and 40 semester units; and

Whereas, Some disciplines, such as Biology and Chemistry, have developed Transfer Model Curricula using IGETC for STEM, which allows the community colleges to require additional discipline specific units by permitting six units of general education to be completed after transfer;

Resolved, That the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges recognize the special character of the music major that requires admission by audition which does not fit well with the parameters of the Associate Degree for Transfer; and

Resolved, That the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges work with the Chancellor’s Office to create a new Taxonomy of Programs (TOP) code for the Transfer Model Curriculum in Music to eliminate the legal requirement that all colleges with an approved Associate’s Degree in Music must have an approved Associate Degree for Transfer in Music.