Whereas, The Intersegmental Committee of Academic Senates established a “singular lower division general education pathway that meets the academic requirements necessary for transfer admission to both the California State University and University of California” named the California General Education Transfer Curriculum (Cal-GETC)  as required by AB 928 (Berman, 2021) ;
Whereas, The Academic Senate for California Community Colleges (ASCCC) worked with the California Community Colleges Curriculum Committee and the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office to propose amended language for the Associate Degree Requirements in California Code of Regulations Title 5 §55060-55064  to align with Cal-GETC per ASCCC Resolution F22 07.01 ;
Whereas, The proposed requirement in Title 5 §55062(a)(4)  may help students to earn an associate degree in cases where excess units factored into their grade point average would render them ineligible for the associate degree, yet transfer institutions may still require that all transferable courses are factored into the grade point average, creating confusion for students who earn an associate degree but are not eligible for transfer with that associate degree; and
Whereas, The provisions of California Code of Regulations Title 5 §55064 Acceptance of Noncredit Courses were inadvertently left out of the proposed revised associate degree requirements;
Resolved, That the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges urge the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office to investigate any possible negative impacts to students from the proposed requirement in Title 5 §55062(a)(4)  and identify possible means or alternatives for offsetting any negative impacts of those proposed requirements; and
Resolved, That the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges support the proposed amended language for the Associate Degree Requirements in California Code of Regulations Title 5 §§55060-55064  provided that provisions for the acceptance of noncredit courses are included.
1. Cal-GETC: https://icas-ca.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Cal-GETC_Framework_2-9-2023.pdf.
2. AB 928 (Berman, 2021): https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB928.
3. California Code of Regulations title 5, Division 6, Chapter 6, Subchapter 1, Article 6:
4.Resolution F22 07.01 Comprehensive Title 5 Revision to Align Associate Degree General Education with the AB 928-required General Education Pathway: https://www.asccc.org/resolutions/comprehensive-title-5-revision-align-associate-degree-general-education-ab-928-required#ftn2.
5. Proposed §55062(a)(4): If units accumulated beyond those required for the degree lower a student's cumulative grade point average below 2.0, colleges shall compute the grade point average based solely on those courses used to satisfy the degree requirements, provided that the coursework used to compute the grade point average fulfill all major/area of emphasis and general education requirements.
7. Proposed revisions to California Code of Regulations, title 5, §§55060–55064: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12tKAs2sC0Xl5tZlXYZIdXfODdc000abu/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=115492749693624265068&rtpof=true&sd=true .