The Academic Senate for California Community Colleges is a 501(c)6 nonprofit organization. Created for the promotion and advancement of public community college education in California, its general purposes are:
- To strengthen local academic senates and councils of community colleges;
- To serve as the voice of the faculty of the community colleges in matters of statewide concern;
- To develop policies and promote the implementation of policies on matters of statewide issues;
- To make recommendations on statewide matters affecting the community colleges.
The Academic Senate for California Community Colleges fosters the effective participation by community college faculty in all statewide and local academic and professional matters; develops, promotes, and acts upon policies responding to statewide concerns; and serves as the official voice of the faculty of California Community Colleges in academic and professional matters. The Academic Senate strengthens and supports the local senates of all California community colleges.
Adopted Spring 2005
SHARE YOUR ASCCC MEMORIES
Do you have memories of the ASCCC you'd like to share? We want to hear about people, events, and moments in time that impacted you. We want to know where the Academic Senate has been and where you think we can go! Funny stories are welcome too! Please follow this link to share with us!
50th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION
This Spring, we will be celebrating 50 years of Leadership, Empowerment, and Voice in style! Spring Plenary will be April 11 to 13, 2019 at the Westin San Francisco Airport Hotel. Registration is open now and spots will fill up quickly. Don't miss this opportunity to honor the last 50 years and look toward the future! For more information and to register, please click here.
ASCCC 50th ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT DESIGN CONTEST
We are looking for creative faculty to design an Academic Senate T-Shirt that will be distributed at Spring Plenary!!! Please see below for requirements and rules! Please forward to all interested faculty. Don't miss your chance to be a part of ASCCC History!
The contest is open to all California Community College faculty. Participation in the promotion/contest constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these official rules.
Please submit your design in the following format: PSD (Photoshop), AI (Adobe Illustrator), jpeg, or PDF. Please email your submission to communications [at] asccc.org with your name, email, phone number, college, discipline, and a brief explanation of your design. Deadline for submission: February 25, 2019 by 5:00 p.m.
The winning design will be determined by the creativity of the design and how well it incorporates the mission of the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges and the 50th anniversary. The winner will receive the following: One registration to 2019 Spring Plenary. Complimentary Registration to Three additional ASCCC Events, Valid from April 2019 to April 2020.
Please click here for official rules.
THE 10 + 1:
Title 5 § 53200 (b): Academic Senate means an organization whose primary function is to make recommendations with respect to academic and professional matters. In Sections 53200 (c), "Academic and professional matters" mean the following policy development and implementation matters
- Curriculum including establishing prerequisites and placing courses within disciplines
- Degree and certificate requirements
- Grading policies
- Educational program development
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success
- District and college governance structures, as related to faculty roles
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes, including self-study and annual reports
- Policies for faculty professional development activities
- Processes for program review
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development
- Other academic and professional matters as are mutually agreed upon between the governing board and the academic senate.
THE ASCCC IN PHOTOS
**If you can identify the year or subjects of the photos please email communications [at] asccc.org.
Plenary Sessions Over the Years
ASCCC Election Photos
Moments in ASCCC History
Award Winners Over the Years
**Please check back for new content**