Each year, the Executive Committee nominations process provides the ASCCC membership a direct voice in the organization’s governance. The Executive Committee’s composition and annual elections are part of the ASCCC’s by-laws.
All candidates for election to the Executive Committee shall meet at least one of these criteria:
1) is a Delegate or a local senate president;
2) has within the last three years immediately preceding the election been a local senate president or an ASCCC Executive Committee member or officer; or
3) has been nominated by a resolution of a Member Senate. The minutes of the meeting at which that resolution was adopted must be submitted to the Elections Committee chair with the nomination of the individual.
For the spring 2024 term, the ASCCC will be conducting elections by online written ballot, using the software RankedVote. The elections will take place during the Saturday portion of the plenary session on April 20, 2024.
The ASCCC is seeking nominations for the 2024-25 Board of Directors, hereby known as the Executive Committee, commencing on March 25, 2024, and closing on Thursday, April 18 during the scheduled lunchtime of the spring plenary session.
Nominations for this election will only be accepted by completing the Executive Committee Candidate Form. This form will be available beginning March 25, 2024. The following documentation is required:
- Candidate Statement - You will need to submit a candidate statement. Please follow the format below and provide the responses to the following questions. Please ensure that this statement is structured in the required format and the statement must be limited to one page, saved as a PDF.
- Times New Roman font, with your name, college, candidate position(s), subject area on the upper left-hand corner and the following information;
- A brief summary of your faculty activities and special qualifications; and
- A brief summary of statewide issues you are most interested in or most concerned about.
- Please do not include a photo with your candidate statement. A photo will be taken of you at the plenary session that will be posted in the registration area.
In addition, you must deliver a candidate speech, during the Friday morning general session at Plenary Session. Your speech should be no more than 5 minutes (10 minutes max for candidates seeking the President position).
Candidate Information Session Materials:
- Candidate Information Session Pre-recorded Webinar (Coming Soon)
Link to Candidate Information Session Handout (Coming Soon)
MEMBER SENATE RESPONSIBILITY - NOTIFICATION OF DELEGATES TO ASCCC
In order to conduct the online election, we will need each member Senate to verify that we have the college’s correct delegate for voting. The Senate President listed in the Senate Directory for each campus, will need to complete the linked Delegate Change Form. The college will not be able to vote in the online election unless this form is submitted. Forms must be emailed to the ASCCC Office - events [at] asccc.org by April 15, 2024.
Things to Know Before Running for a Position on the Executive Committee
At all times, Executive Committee members represent the positions of the Academic Senate in their service. "Positions" in the broadest sense include adopted resolutions, history, by-laws, rules, and current activities. Executive Committee members have an obligation to carry out the instructions of the delegates which are presented in the form of approved resolutions. Particularly when acting in an official capacity, Executive Committee members must represent adopted positions of the Academic Senate to the best of their ability. When not in an official Academic Senate capacity, members may express their opinions as long as they distinctly separate their views from those of the Academic Senate. Even so, later misrepresentations of Academic Senate positions do occur. Positions adopted by the Executive Committee or its standing or ad hoc committees are not as yet official positions of the plenary body and so are open to discussion. Executive Committee members are obligated to present the positions of Academic Senate committees as well as their own when discussing the issue with the public or other groups. Executive Committee members are expected to represent these Academic Senate positions in various arenas as assigned, including the Legislature, Chancellor's Office, and other State agencies.
To learn more about the roles and responsibilities of an Executive Committee member, please join the following webinar below:
- Topic: ASCCC Elections: The challenges and opportunities of being on the ASCCC Executive Team Pre-Recorded Webinar
Executive Committee - Roles and Responsibilities
The ASCCC Executive Committee is responsible for ensuring the organization is acting in the best interest of the ASCCC members. To this end, the Executive Committee provides strategic guidance for the successful achievement of the ASCCC's Mission. The Executive Committee oversees the strategic plan of the ASCCC and its organizational performance, reviews high-level organizational goals and policies, makes high-level decisions, reviews Executive Director performance, and serves as a community advocate for the ASCCC. The Executive Committee is supported by the Executive Director and a full-time professional staff, who are responsible for day-to-day operations and recommending goals and policies. Executive Committee members must commit to attending all in-person meetings per academic year.
Additional information regarding the role of the Executive Committee and expectations of service, can be found on the linked Revised Responsibilities document.
ASCCC 2024 Elections Timetable
March 25, 2024
Call for Executive Committee Nominations - Access the Form HERE
April 18, 2024
Closing date for Executive Committee Nominations - at the conclusion of the Thursday lunch hour at the plenary session
April 18, 2024
All candidate materials due and candidates are listed on ASCCC Elections Page by 5:00 p.m. PST. Link to Candidates and Statements.
April 20, 2024
Elections open by RankedVote – PLEASE SEE LINK TO BALLOTS HERE!
*(Elections Chair will provide Certified Results at the end of each round of voting on the following business day.)
April 20, 2024
April 20, 2024
If necessary, special elections open by RankedVote at the conclusion of regular elections.
April 23, 2024
Complete candidate winners listed on ASCCC Page
|Presentation PPT: 21 Responsibilities of Executive Members
|PPT Responsibilities of Executive Members
|Executive Committee Responsibilities
|RankedVote User Guide