The Academic Senate is pleased to announce the call for nominations for the Hayward Award for “Excellence in Education.” Sponsored annually by the Foundation for California Community Colleges, this award honors community college full-time and part-time faculty who demonstrate the highest level of commitment to their students, college, and profession. Award recipients, nominated by their college academic senate and selected by representatives of the Academic Senate must have a record of outstanding performance of professional activities, as well as a record of active participation on campus.
- Each local senate can nominate one full- and part- time faculty member; however there can only be one honoree from each college.
- All faculty, classroom and non-classroom, are eligible for consideration.
- Previous nominees who did not receive the award may be re-nominated.
- Four recipients (two full-time and two part-time faculty) will be chosen and honored at the Board of Governors meeting in March.
- Completed online applications must be received in the Academic Senate Office by 5:00 p.m. on December 10, 2021.
The selection process will be completed by February 2022. Winners will be honored at the March 2022 Board of Governors meeting. Please note, that the recipients of this award will be asked to submit a current photo. Although only four faculty recipients will be honored by the Board of Governors, we hope each college will honor its individual nominee.
Each college academic senate may forward to the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges the name of up to two nominees (one full- and one part-time) for the Hayward Award for "Excellence in Education." The criteria to be used in making the final selection include the following:
- The candidate(s) should be committed to serving and empowering students from diverse backgrounds and experiences. The candidate’s application and supporting letter from the local senate should reflect this commitment.
- The candidate(s) should be committed to the fundamental principles of the California Community Colleges mission. There should be evidence of support for open access and for helping students succeed. The candidate's application should reflect a commitment to the college at which the candidate works, perhaps through suggestions of ways the candidate has helped to improve the educational environment.
- The candidate(s) should be committed to serving the institution through participation in professional and/or student activities. There should be evidence of participation with the academic senate, department, or student groups.
- The candidate(s) should be committed to education. There should be evidence that the candidate maintains currency in the discipline and communicates to students and colleagues an enthusiasm for the discipline and for education in general.
- The candidate(s) should be committed to serving as a representative of the profession beyond the local institution through service in statewide and/or national activities. There should be evidence of activities that reveal a broader scope of interest, perhaps through publications, participation in community groups, or participation in state or national organizations.
Application Procedure and Checklist
An online application form completed by the nominating college.
The nominating college should complete the online form and submit the final application for the nominee(s).
Nominees may use the 'Hayward Award Application - for Nominee' document to complete the application information to explain their qualifications for consideration as a recipient of the Hayward Award for "Excellence in Education." Applications will be redacted for any reference to the nominee and the nominee’s college and community prior to the selection committee's review.
- Local academic senate letter of candidate support, two-page maximum, submitted along with the online application. Please explain the candidate's qualifications for consideration as a recipient of the Hayward Award for "Excellence in Education." Applications will be screened for direct or indirect reference to the nominee and the nominee’s college and community.
- Candidate's curriculum vitae, submitted with the online application form. CVs will be redacted for any reference to the nominee and the nominee’s college and community prior to the selection committee's review. Please include the following in the vitae: Professional Experience including positions held, professional affiliations, campus activities, and educational background, as well as any awards and honors, publications and presentations, and community activities.