With the strong statewide push toward increasing degree completion, certificate completion and transfer, it is more important than ever that all faculty are informed and equipped to address student success, you don't want to miss the Student Success Institute: Basic Skills Across the Curriculum. Sponsored by the Academic Senate Foundation for California Community Colleges, the Institute will be held on On February 25th & 26th, 2011, at the San Jose Doubletree.
The Student Success Institute: Basic Skills Across the Curriculum is designed for all faculty on our California community colleges—not just basic skills instructors. Participants will explore key student success concepts, ask questions, determine paths, share perspectives, and gain new ideas.
Some questions to be explored are:
- How do I know that my model content review is up to date?
- I don't teach basic skills, but I have basic skills students—what are some techniques I can use in my course that will help them be successful?
- What is contextualized learning? Can it be done at my campus? How?
Come to this institute to explore questions with colleagues from other colleges. Student Success Across the Curriculum is an institute for all faculty! Please join us on February 25 and 26, 2011 at the San Jose Doubletree.
The Basic Skills Committee strongly encourages teams from each college to come and participate in the discussions, learn about different strategies, and share what you are doing. Your students deserve your attendance at this institute.
- Single Occupancy registration: $475 (includes lodging on the 25th, registration, and materials)
- Double Occupancy registration: $350 (includes lodging with a roommate on the 25th, registration, and materials)
- Registration Only: $250 (includes registration and materials, but no lodging)
If you are interested in attending the Institute, please complete the online registration form as soon as possible. Please note that the Institute is limited to 100 participants on a first-come-first-serve basis, so you may want to register right away. Limit of 5 team members per college.
Thank you for your interest in this institute. Registration for this even has closed.
Please mail a check to the Academic Senate Office prior to the Institute, or, if necessary, you may bring it with you to the Institute. Our mailing address is 555 Capitol Mall, Suite 525, Sacramento, CA 95814. Please make checks out to the Academic Senate.
The Foundation has sponsored two part-time faculty members to attend this Institution. If you would like to contribute to the Foundation to cover costs of sending these faculty to participate in this event or other events, please click the image below to donate.
The Academic Senate Foundation is proud to sponsor two part-time faculty to attend the ASCCC Institute on Basic Skills and Student Success, February 25-26, in San Jose, with professional development opportunities offered in effective instruction and student success across the curriculum. With a focus on student success, any faculty from all disciplines will benefit. The scholarship awarded to the selected part-time faculty will cover the cost of registration and a stipend of $100 for travel to the institute. Each academic senate may nominate one part-time faculty for consideration for the scholarship award. Please download the scholarship application below.
A program is now available for download. Please see below!
Hotel and Travel Information
The Doubletree San Jose is located at 2050 Gateway Place, San Jose, CA, 95110. Driving directions can be found here. The nearest airport to the Doubletree is the San Jose Airport. There is a complimentary shuttle to and from the airport. Please call from one of the courtesy phones in baggage claim for a pick up. For those that are driving, daily self parking and overnight self parking has been discounted to $5 per car. Please note that the cost of travel and parking are not included in the registration fee.
- Please remember that the last day to cancel your registration without penalty is January 24, 2011. Cancellations must be submitted in writing to events [at] asccc.org on or before the posted date. Registration will not be canceled due to non-payment.
- Refunds will not be granted for cancellations after the cancellation deadline (January 24, 2011).
- You and/or your college will be invoiced for any unpaid fees upon the conclusion of the event, including “no show” registrants.
- No shows, unclaimed “TBA” attendees, and cancellations made after the deadline will be billed to you and/or your college for the total cost of registration and room if applicable to the event. As attendees are permitted to register without funds, we have no way of determining cancellation unless specifically told, in writing.
- It is your responsibility to ensure payment of the registration fee. Submission of your registration signifies agreement with this policy.
- Unpaid balances owed to the Academic Senate must be paid off before an attendee can register for a future event.
|Scholarship Application||33 KB|
|Final Program||787.25 KB|
|Active Learning breakout||73 KB|
|Active Learning||158 KB|
|President's Welcome General Session||1.38 MB|
|Opening General Session||4.13 MB|
|Making Connections with Students handouts||35 KB|
|Making Connections with Students||3.1 MB|
|Who Should We Hire?||3.89 MB|
|Final General Session Part 1||6.97 MB|
|Final General Session Part 2||1.31 MB|
|Final General Session Part 3||5.1 MB|
|Final General Session Part 4||4.79 MB|
|Services That Support College Entry||1.61 MB|
|Teaching Students How to Read your Textbook||507 KB|
|Textbook Handout 1||32.5 KB|
|Textbook Handout 2||58 KB|
|Textbook Handout 3||558.33 KB|
|Textbook Handout 4||28 KB|
|Textbook Handout 5||16.65 KB|
|Textbook Handout 6||39.5 KB|
|Textbook Handout 7||30 KB|
|Making a Difference in our Practices and Equitable Student Success||8.49 MB|